[Qgis-user] ArcGIS online maps and QGIS

Ben Carlson ben.s.carlson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 12:55:31 PDT 2009

Ben Carlson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if QGIS can display the free ArcGIS online maps available at:
>
> http://resources.esri.com/arcgisonlineservices/index.cfm?fa=content
>
> As far as I can tell, QGIS only consumes WMF layers, and ArcGIS does
> not provide these services.
>
> Is there a way to configure QGIS to consume ArcGIS services?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ben

I actually have a similar service I'm testing at work I'll poke into it
a little more. The only info I could get out of an ESRI guy the other
day at a conference was that they serve a lot of tile services that work
the same way as google's tile service, and he had know idea if this was
compliant with OGC tile map service specs.

However QGIS does not support TMS yet, but there might be a work around
with GDAL temporarily.

Alex,

Hey that would be great!  I am definitely a GIS novice, but just let
me know anything that I can do to help.

Ben