[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] qgis2google

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 10:50:40 PDT 2009

Nice topic.
My two cents. We cannot ask a "power user" to release its tools
cross-platform as a requirement. This is a must for the official
development, but probably most of the power users work on a single
environment.
So we can kindly ask for the possibility to have a tool
cross-platform, but if the developer cannot accomplish it (at least
not immediatly) a clear "how-to" to compile by ourselves could fill
the time gaps between cross-platform releases.

I think it would help a lot to make make an effort to standardize the
compile/build process for Linux (it's already quite easy), Windows
(not so easy!!!), Mac (I don't know...) to put an end-user, if he
wants, to compile plugins (both C++ and python) by itself.
I've tried with Windows... but I've given up, lost between nmake,
MSVC, different libraries flavours, manglings between OsGeo4W
libraries and the system's ones... Jurgen knows what I'm talking about
:-(

Anyway, I'm on the research side of the story. I prefer to use then compile :)

giovanni