[Qgis-user] Quantum Connect to PostgreSQL

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Sep 14 10:27:25 PDT 2009

Hi,

If pgadmin3 can't connect then it is not a QGIS issue.

I would guess it is either an incorrectly specified postgresql.conf or
pg_hba.conf or a firewall blocking access. In order to allow network
access to your database you need to do the following:

in postgresql.conf set:
listen_addresses = '*'
This is in the CONNECTIONS AND AUTHENTICATION section of the config file
Also make sure the standard port 5432 is set (or use a different port,
but use it everywhere where needed)
See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/runtime-config-connection.html
for more information.

in pg_hba.conf set:
host    all    all    0.0.0.0/0    md5
See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

In both files you can limit it to subnets instead of '*' or '0.0.0.0/0'
- which would allow connections from everywhere. Make sure you restart
or reload the postgresql server after you changed the config files.

Also, make sure that your firewall is not blocking port 5432.

Regarding SSL: by default, SSL is not activated in PostgreSQL, so I
guess this shouldn't be the problem.

Hope this helps,
Andreas