[Qgis-user] Large Format Printing (A0)

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Sep 20 06:09:10 PDT 2009

Hi Tim,

We use printers from the HP DesignJet series. Works fine.

QGIS has limitations when printing large rasters. Also, WMS services may
run into limitations, when not properly configured because QGIS would
request huge raster chunks, larger than what WMS servers usually can
deliver.

Also, the most recent releases fixed printing issues when dealing with
large polygons (>5000-10000 vertices and more) - not uncommon with GIS
datasets. There was an issue with inefficient clipping algorithms in the
qt-engine. Marco/Jürgen patched the qt-library that caused the problems.

Marco has an open task on improving the printing engine to better
handle/tile large rasters and WMS. I don't know if he is already working
on this or not. Maybe Marco can comment?

Andreas