[Qgis-user] Problem with adding GeoTIFF raster

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sun Apr 11 11:46:31 PDT 2010

Kieron Dunbar wrote:

> I tried to import one of the GeoTIFF rasters from
> www.ordnancesurvey.gov.uk into QGis, but it seems to ignore the
> co-ordinates reported by gdalinfo, as it puts the top left corner at
> 0,0 with a scale of 1 pixel per unit. Is there a way I can put this
> file in the correct position? I haven't used QGis or GDAL before, so I
> apologise if I have missed something obvious?
>
> The properties gdalinfo reports are as follows (slightly abbreviated):
>
> Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
> Files: 1 250 000 Scale Raster/data/HP.tif
> Size is 4000, 4000
> Coordinate System is `'
Here's the problem  ^^^^

After unzipping the downloaded file, if you look in the directory "data"
there's another directory "georeferencing files". There you'll find the
*.tfw (world files) for each of the the *tif files. It's strange that
they are delivered in a separate directory. Just copy all the *.tfw
files into the same dir as the *.tif files, and they'll be positioned
correctly.

One additional note: When you load the layers into QGIS, be sure to
choose the "National Grid" as the CRS. That's EPSG:27700.