[Qgis-user] Mobile GIS

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Mon Apr 19 03:20:52 PDT 2010

Yes, I really agree that a Lite version would be great.

How big screen is needed I think is mostly depending on what you are going to do and if the computor is the only tool you are carrying or it it is desirable to instead always have it in the pocket.

>From using Arcpad I think that the functionality of importance is
*  easy map pan and zoom with one hand
*  Digitizing where both stylus and gps can be used. The GPS both for tracking and single vertexpoints.
*Support for SpatialLite, shapefiles, wms, wfs, and wfs-t would be great.

I think it is important to early get a picture about what functionality should be there because every unnecessary functionality will be more of irritation, both because the user interface will be messed up, and because the system resources will go to things you don't want.

Of course some easy customization is great, but to keep it down all over I think is prio one.

I really hope for QGIS here. I guess (am I right?) that QGIS gives better possibilities to build a real slimmed application than the java-alternatives.

Regards
Nicklas

Meego is another candidate platform for mobile gis.