[Qgis-user] Ideas for an intro to QGIS for beginners (mostly wildlife ecologists and conservationists)

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Dec 15 13:17:46 PST 2010

On 12/15/2010 03:24 AM, maning sambale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am requested to present and conduct a brief workshop (3 hours) to a
> symposium mostly composed of wildlife ecologists and conservationists.
>
> My initial plan is to:
>  - present basic qgis interface
>  - create simple point data (from sampling transect plots using
> delimited text plugin)
>  - create map layouts (map composer) and simple webmaps (openlayers plugin)
>  - promote foss-geo philosophies (along the side)
>
> I am aware that some users here are on a similar field (wildlife
> ecology and conservation), I am posting to collect more ideas on what
> specific exercises I should prepare for these audience.
>  Advance thanks!

I did a similar thing for Natural Resource managers recently.
I had them load a DEM and apply a color ramp. Load a hillshade(or make a
hillshade) and apply a semi-transparency to make the DEM look really good.

I would add point sampling, so take an animal point and grab the
elevation, or vegetation info from another layer based on it.

I'll post my lab and then send out the link, need to check on
permissions for the data set.

Thanks,
Alex
(Also a Wildlife Biologist)