[Qgis-user] CRS Transfer MGA94 <-> AMG94

Brett Adams badams at spinifexgeophysics.com.au
Tue Dec 21 16:47:30 PST 2010

Hi Ramon,

Not sure what going on with problem 1. Thats weird.

I'm no expert on Problems 2 and 3 but I was derailed by the same issue.
Problem is that QGIS can't distinguish between GDA94, AGD84 and AGD66.
It doesn't contain the required projection definition files. These will
all silently default to WGS84 (or WGS72 occasionally).  This also true
if you import mapinfo files with these projections, QGIS doesn't
recognise them and they default to WGS84 which means they are upto 150m
out of position (AGD84 V's GDA94).

My understanding is that the problem lies with Proj4, the projection
reference system used, but not developed by QGIS. We looked into getting
the bug squashed a few months ago but it didn't work out, probably
because QGIS has no control over Proj4

Have a look at
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.gdal.devel/month=20060301 for
another discussion on using AGD66 / AGD84. It also contains the
projection definitions. In theory you could create your own CRS entries
for your area. My solution was to swap programmes.

I am yet to see a solution for the Windows format but I believe the
Linux version works if you insert the correct gsb files.

I keep an eye out hoping this issue will get fixed as I really like QGIS
as a package, I just can't use it.

--
Brett Adams
Spinifex Geophysics <http://www.spinifexgeophysics.com.au/>