[Qgis-user] Problem with "select by location" tool

Levent S.B. solfallsild at gaia.de
Fri Feb 5 08:27:07 PST 2010

Hi there!

I'm running QGIS 1.4 (german) under Ubuntu, 32 bit, and have the
following problem:

I have two vector-shapefiles, a point-shapefile called "animal lairs"
and one polygon-shapefile called "biotope areas".
Now i want to select each element of the biotope layer with an animal
lair inside.
I open "Vector --> Research tools --> Select by location"
Then i choose "Select features in 'biotope areas' that intersect
features in 'animal lairs'"
and click "Ok", but get no reaction (apart from the "Ok"-icon reacting
to the click).

(Strangely, if i ask the tool to select a layer intersecting with itself
(i.e. choose the same layer in the two pull-down menus),
it reacts -with selecting all layers, of course)

I think this used to work in QGIS 1.3, so maybe it's a bug- if i somehow
just didn't manage to work with the tool correctly, i would be very
pleased, if you told me how to do it!

Thank you very much,
Levent