[Qgis-user] RE: install from OSGeo4W with ECW & MrSID support

Kivit, Hubert Hubert.Kivit at PWN.NL
Mon Jan 11 00:40:12 PST 2010

Thanks for the reply Micha, but my point is that I would like to see
this instruction VERY CLOSE TO, or even preferably being part of, the
install page of QGis. You can't expect from the moderate user that
he/she digs deeply into mail groups, forums etc. to solve the problem,
especially when the install page states that ECW and SID are supported.

Hubert

________________________________

Van: Micha Silver [mailto:micha at arava.co.il]
Verzonden: Monday, January 11, 2010 8:52 AM
Aan: Kivit, Hubert
CC: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Onderwerp: Re: [Qgis-user] install from OSGeo4W with ECW & MrSID support

On 11/01/2010 09:40, Kivit, Hubert wrote:

I posted this message on the forum, but as no one reacted, I give it a
try here...

it took me quite a while to find out why I couldn't use ECW, JP2 and
MrSID images with OSGEO4W-installed QGis on Windows. According to the
download page support for these formats is included. For MrSID and
MrSid-JP2000 it appeared that I needed to manually add the Gdal-16
MrSid-plugin (through the advanced install - libs section). From there I
also added the Gdal-16 ECW plugin, but I still wasn't able to load these
images into QGis. In the QGis user archives (september 2009) I found a
topic on this, from which I learned that I needed 4 Erdas SDK libraries
and put them in the windows system 32 directory. At last I was able to
do what I had been done with standalone-installed QGis right from the
start: load my ECW and SID-files.
So my question is: is it possible to give a somewhat more comprehensive
explanation on this subject on the install page?

Does this page cover the issue:
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/OSGeo4wSetup
(second hit on Google for "ecw mrsid qgis windows"

Regards,
Micha

Cheers,  Hubert Kivit

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

--
Micha Silver
http://www.surfaces.co.il/