[Qgis-user] RE: install from OSGeo4W with ECW & MrSID support

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 06:27:19 PST 2010

Kiving,

I've been struggling for similar issues, thus welcome your input a lot.

Some (most? all?) of qgis developers consider that issues concerning ECW
& MrSID support are not part of qgis and that we should ask for help
on the gdal list. I managed to compile some directions that were
afterwards improved (and assume that officially backed) by gdal
developers for linux machines, as well as the directions for installing
through OSGeo4W on windows, which I think have also been improved.
Nevertheless, ECW & MrSID support should be considered a
qgis concern in practice. Somehow, we should find the way of facilitating
this installation in a way as transparent as possible for the user.
Unfortunately, at the moment, we users often find ourselves on a "no
one's land" when having
problems with ECW & MrSID support in qgis.

Agus