[Qgis-user] slow start up

Greg Coats gregcoats at mac.com
Sun Jan 17 21:50:59 PST 2010

Using Qgis version 1.4.0 built against code revision 12644:12645M from http://www.kyngchaos.com under Mac OS X 10.6.2, I find that starting up from the .qgs project file takes 4 minutes, and during this time Activity Monitor reports that Qgis is consuming 99% of the CPU. The largest file in the project is only 37 MB. The computer has a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, with 3 GB RAM. AFTER start up, Qgis quickly pans and zooms in and out through the imagery. Only ONE raster image is drawn at any particular scale. What is Qgis doing at start up that requires it to use 99% of the CPU for 4 consecutive minutes? What can be done to reduce the start up time? I am interested in hearing from others how long Qgis takes to start up. This Qgis project can be download from
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcoats/jp2/images/dcua_reduce6_01.zip
Greg