[Qgis-user] fill patterns in map printing

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jan 21 06:00:35 PST 2010

Hi Markus and Marco,

I think there are two ways of transparency:

* a global layer transparency (still missing as Marco said)
* transparency in the SVG pattern - this is probably what Markus wants.
This should let layers below the SVG pattern layer shine through where
there is no 100% opaque geometry present in the pattern.

The second version is already supported now. Just define your pattern
such, that there is no complete fill across the whole pattern area.

I saw, however, another problem (probably bound to antialiasing problems).
There are some artefacts behind the SVG pattern when the layer below has a
darker fill.

See these two examples:
* http://www.carto.net/neumann/temp/svg_pattern_antialiasing_problem.png
* http://www.carto.net/neumann/temp/svg_patttern_antialiasing_problem_1.png

The first screenshot was made on Windows, the second on Linux.

In the first example you can see some tiny yellow pixels around the black
patterns, in the second example there is some white and yellow halo around
the hatch-lines.

I wonder if the rendering quality could be improved to avoid these
artefacts or halos?

Andreas

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/