[Qgis-user] minimum requirement on windows

Ron Bentley rtbentley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 10:44:39 PDT 2010

Just to add to last week's user experiences with minimum requirements:

I had occasion to test a large QGis project (~ 270 layers) on several
older XP laptops about 6 months ago using QGis 1.4.  The data source was
Postgres/PostGIS running on the same machine.  The project would open
and was usable on machines with just 1 GB RAM.  500 MB was not enough --
those machines started swapping and response time was far too slow.
However, a smaller project (~75 layers) worked just fine on the laptops
with only 500 MB RAM.

I personally run 1.4 on a netbook (Ubuntu, 1 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz Atom,
Postgres/PostGIS in the background).  The rendering is sometimes slower
than I would like, but that's on vector layers with 100,000 elements.

I've seem QGis running on an industrial-style tablet where the
"keyboard" consists of buttons on either side of the screen.  That was
running XP, but I didn't get the specs of the machine.

Ron Bentley