[Qgis-user] Improving DXF to SHAPE Plugin

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jul 9 05:41:10 PDT 2010

Hi,

Sorry for my late reply to this email.

Are you aware that OGR now supports dxf? Did you test the OGR driver?

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_dxf.html

My employer paid for the initial support of dxf in ogr and is now funding
a second round of improvements regarding block references, dashed lines
and layer handling in the writer.

For QGIS to successfully digest OGR dxf it would have to deal with mixed
geometries, or split the geometry of one OGR dxf source into several QGIS
layers.

I wonder if you or someone else would be able to sponsor the QGIS side of
the dxf improvements. My employer paid for the OGR improvements, I wonder
if we can find another sponsor for the QGIS side of the improvements.

Also other formats with mixed geometries, such as DGN and Postgis would
profit from QGIS improvements regarding the handling of mixed geometries.

Another area of improvements is the OGR features styling. OGR delivers
styling information (such as stroke color, dashing, text styles, etc.)
with the DXF reader, however, currently QGIS can't digest this
information. This would also be an area where QGIS could be improved if
someone can provide the funding.

If you need more information on the topic, either discuss it here or
contact me, Frank Warmerdam or Marco Hugentobler offlist.

Andreas

On Thu, June 17, 2010 11:13 pm, Bruce, Bob (CON) wrote:
> I tried using this plugin the other day and found that a lot of
> important DXF element attributes were missing. Is there currently a way
> to get things like the layer name and the textstring imported into the
> SHAPE files using this plugin?
>
> If there is not, are there any plans to extend this plugin to do this?
> If help is needed to work on improving this plugin, I would be
> interested in lending a hand since I am keen on seeing this
> functionality added.
>
> 	Bob

> **  Bob Bruce, FEC, P.Eng.     Geomatics Support Engineer
> **  Bob.Bruce at gov.mb.ca        Manitoba Geomatics/Remote Sensing Branch,
> **  work # (204) 945-6636      1007 Century Street,
> **  FAX  # (204) 945-1365      Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, R3H 0W4
> **
> **  The Manitoba Centre for:
> **   Cadastral & Topographical Mapping, and Remote Sensing
> **   See us on the Web at: http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/geomatics/
> **        Check out our digital maps at: http://mlidata.gov.mb.ca/WPMLI
> **                 and: https://mli2.gov.mb.ca/

Andreas Neumann