[Qgis-user] some impressions from my students

Carlos Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 07:21:03 PST 2010

Hello all. I just started teaching a class on GIS for geology
undergrads. We are using ArcGIS and QGIS.

My students want to share some impressions from the first two classes:

Plugin install: it would be really nice to be able to select more than
one plugin for install, instead of doing it one at a time (what if I
want them all?)

Identify features: is there a way to identify one feature that's
partially visible, but the layer is not selected, so I can find out to
which layer it belongs?

Symbology: Although the classification works fine, changing the color
for each class is painfull. Can we have color ramps or something like
it?

Translation: (We speak Portuguese). We noticed that in PT-BR version,
for the Project Properties Dialog, Coordinate Reference System, there
is a typo.
it should read "Sistema de Coordenadas Globais" instead of "Sistema de
Soordenadas Globais" (typed a S instead of a C).

I also noticed that when it comes to CRS, we have a long list of
_datums_, but not of general _projections_. So if I just want to
change the projection, say from Plate Carré to Mollweide, it's not as
easy as in Arc, where I can change the projection and the datum.

that's it for now. As new feedback comes, I'll post it.

cheers

Carlos

--
Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Geologist D.Sc.
Institute of Geosciences - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil