[Qgis-user] How to subtract line segments that overlap

Ezra Boyd eboyd3 at tigers.lsu.edu
Tue Nov 30 13:49:50 PST 2010

Hi Everyone,

I am working with shoreline survey shapefile from Gulf of Mexico Oil spill,
and I need help in figuring out to deal with overlapping line segments.  For
example, a section of shoreline might have been coded as "Moderate" on one
day, but then coded as "Heavy" when surveyed a second time at a later date.
 I need to sum the length of shoreline for each category, but in a manner
that counts each shoreline segment only once.  Is there a tool that can
remove overlapping line segments from a shapefile?

Thank You,
Ezra