[Qgis-user] offline googlemaps (or the like) images

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Mon Oct 4 06:03:34 PDT 2010

  Hi,

I'm going to do some fieldwork in some pretty remote places, and I'd
like to use qgis (combined with the qgismapper plugin to match my gps
and photo's). What I'd really like to have, is some highres background
imagery, like the satellite layer from googlemaps. Anyone knows of a
way/tool to fetch a predifined area of this (or another service which
provides highres background imagery) as a georeferenced image, so I can
use it offline as a background layer while gps-wardriving the swamps of
Borneo?

Thanks for any tips!

Vincent.