sample dataset including plug-ins (=> was: Re: [Qgis-user] Announcing "Time Manager" Plugin v 0.1)

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 20:20:12 PDT 2010

This is a great suggestion.  I've used GRASS old spearfish dataset
while trying to learn GRASS in the past.
Additional points for discussion:
- application domain - QGIS is a general purpose tool.  A biologist, a
geologist, a local government or a small community would have very
different data requirements.  A generic dataset cannot cater to all.
Probably good to create multiple datasets and allow each group to
curate each dataset.
- geographic location - during my beginner gis courses, I find that
participants appreciate the concepts if they work on a "local"
dataset.  A good resource is openstreetmap.

For cartography related plugins and exercises, I suggest you use the
Natural Earth dataset.

--
cheers,
maning