[Qgis-user] Polygon colours in existing shape files.

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Oct 8 04:15:36 PDT 2010

Hi Ramon,

What you describe is data-defined styling - taking the symbology options
from a db field.

In QGIS you can use this for label settings, like font-family, font-color,
position, styles, etc. - unfortunately this is not available for the
simpler task of styling polygons or lines.

It would be very useful to have this data-defined styling also for general
symbology options. Also the stroke-width would be a natural candidate for
data-defined styling.

Sorry for not being of better help.

Andreas

On Fri, October 8, 2010 11:34 am, Ramon Andinach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a number of files that are full of filled polygons, which are
> available as .shp or .tab files. Most of these files represent geological
> data, so the colours of the polygons are an important part of visually
> identifying the data. When I was using these in Mapinfo (and from what I
> saw in Arc) they would come up with the predefined colours consistently.
>
> When I open these up in Qgis, it does not appear to honour these colours
> (regardless of whether I open the shp or tab file).
> Is there a way to get Qgis to use these colours?
>
> If there isn't, is there a quicker way of getting these colours back to
> what I'm expecting?
> At the moment the best I can see is to group them by the code fields and
> then redo do hundreds of code colours.

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/