[Qgis-user] Re: polygon direction/orientation

Brad Nesom gisbradokla at live.com
Wed Oct 13 11:36:55 PDT 2010

I found this on the esri website. hope it helps...

Calculate for each poly the length and bearing of it's longest heddge

This script is designed to work on polygons having very geometric shapes
(like agricultural fields).

Bearing values : from 0 to 179.99°

0° for N or S;
45° for N-E or S-W;
90° for E or W;
135° for S-E or N-W;

Example of application : determination of the orientation of the sawing
lines in agricultural parcels. We tested it on a sample of a little 100
parcels and we had a correspondence of 84% between observed sawing lines
orientations and predicted orientations. This information may be useful in
radar imagery analysis.

For our other tools : see our web GIS-TOOLS site at :
http://www.mila.ucl.ac.be/logistique/sig/sig-tools/