[Qgis-user] GIS on a tablet device???

uni at foe05.de uni at foe05.de
Fri Oct 15 02:30:51 PDT 2010

Hello everyone.

I am looking for information how I can install a spatial data viewer on a
tablet computer. Does anyone have experience with it? I plan to buy a
tablet computer (preferably an IPad) and would like to know in advance how
this works.

I have already asked google and found out that there is a special version
of gvSIG for mobile devices. I've also thought about converting my spatial
data in the KML format and then visualysing it in a Google Earth app. That
would be a "only-viewer"-solution -that would be okay, but what I really
want is to display my vector (shape and PostGIS) and raster data on the
fly on the iPad. To install a functioning GIS is the goal.

I know that IOS (the OS of the IPad) would be the problem. Does anyone
already have experience or any information with the latest developments?

Before I buy hardware I would be grateful for any information.

With the best wishes for a great weekend!
Johannes