[Qgis-user] Re: QGIS 1.5 Update for ECW/SID support crashes

Ramon Andinach custard at westnet.com.au
Fri Oct 15 16:51:24 PDT 2010

On 16/10/2010, at 24:09 , Francesco Parisi wrote:

> hy guys
>
> i've got the same problem, and i've tried this solution:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-gdal-ecw unfortunately it don't works
> for me...
>
> the solution i've found is very empirical, under my windows 7 pc i have a
> virtual machine with windows xp sp3 installed, so i have installed here qgis
> 1.5.0 -> then i have open it and imported my ecw files -> so i have saved
> the project -> and copied them on windows 7.
>
> the qgs files are not encrypted, so it's possible to open them with notepad
> and modify the location of the ecws to allow qgis to find them correctly.
>
> I know that is clumsy but the solutions that i've read in this forum don't
> works for me.
> --

Do you mind a bit of curiousity from a new user?

1.
On my old win laptop qgis (standalone install 1.5.0, on vista) handles all the vector data I can throw at it fine.
If I point it at an ecw, qgis just straight crashes. A windows dialog box appear saying "qgis.exe has stopped working". Most of my rasters are ecw.
Is this what yours did or is this a different problem?
(I'm currently suspecting the laptop is a bit underpowered for the job).

1a.
Actually the link to GDAL ticket 2320 speaks of qgis 1.5.3 - but I don't know where that is. Maybe that would help!

2.
With regards to the wiki entry, the link now points to SDK 4.1, but states that the problem is unlikely to be fixed by 3.3. Could this be part of the problem?

3.
With your solution, are the ECW and the quantum project back on windows 7 at the end, or just the project?

-ramon.