[Qgis-user] Re: QGIS 1.5 Update for ECW/SID support crashes

hayamaguchi hayamaguchi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 18:34:05 PDT 2010

Yesterday, reading Francesco's post, I went to the
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-gdal-ecw that he mentions, and
followed the instructions.  The current postings at the ERDAS site only has
*.dll files for versions 8.0 and 9.0 (in the C:\Program Files
(x86)\ERDAS\ERDAS ECW JPEG2000 Read SDK\redistributable folder after you
install the ECW/JPEG2000 read-only utility) in the folders "vc80" and "vc90"
in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ERDAS\ERDAS ECW JPEG2000 folder that's
established after installation in my Win7 machine.

When I copy the *.dll files from either of the two folders ("vc80" and
"vc90") into the "System 32" subfolder of my "c:\windows" folder, QGIS 1.5
can read my ECW files ON THE FIRST TIME I RUN QGIS 1.5 afterward.  After the
first time, after I exit QGIS 1.5 and re-run QGIS 1.5, the ECW files do not
appear (QGIS crashes) with the error message that Ramon got.

I hope this provides yet another data point to those folks in the QGIS open
source community that's working on eradicating bugs!

This matter is especially important since in the state of Michigan in the
USA, the aerial photos for our area distributed by the state are provided to
us in ECW format!  We DEPEND on QGIS for our work and livelihoods, so I hope
that the right people are monitoring this situation and working on a
solution!

Cheers!