[Qgis-user] Re: Re: QGIS 1.5 Update for ECW/SID support crashes

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Mon Oct 18 07:18:41 PDT 2010

Le 18/10/2010 16:06, hayamaguchi a écrit :

> I am in a similar situation with Doug.  My local governments (county and
> state) use MrSid and ECW, respectively.  I am committed to QGIS and its
> dependence on GDAL, so I would like to encourage the GDAL and QGIS
> developers to continue their work in obtaining support for those formats,
> especially ECW.  Somebody mentioned a petition to ERDAS to loosen up their
> licensing terms for v71 redistributables for OSGeo use.  That may be a great
> starting point.  And, like Doug, I thank all of you, as a new convert to
> QGIS, for all your outstanding, selfless work in developing the software and
> helping newbies like myself use this wonderful product!

A petition is a waste of time, this issue isn't new and ERDAS has made
nothing to ease the interoperability of its format (limitation for
embedding it, limitation to download it, limitation on which platform it
works on).

Something that would be usefull ? Sponsoring the dev of openjpeg or a
free ecw's implementation or ask your data provider to offer more
exchange formats.