[Qgis-user] Re: Overview (inset map ) in map composer

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Fri Oct 29 10:48:46 PDT 2010

On 10/29/2010 12:50 AM, John C. Tull wrote:
> I don't think that "they" (they being me, by the way) forgot that was a problem. I probably just did a poor job of articulating the issue and solution. I recognize that the overview map is not always what you want for an overview map in the composer.
>
> What might be a better solution would be to have an overview map option in the composer that uses those layers that you have selected to be in the overview map on the canvas. You could then change the scale of this overview map in the composer, recenter, etc. Something like a "Place overview map" tool or similar.

My needs are slightly different. Firstly, in the overview window I often
do not put the same layers as the main window. Sometimes, just a scanned
topo map in sufficient in the overview. Secondly, the important feature
is an "extent" rectangle that shows in the overview window the actual
extents of the main map window.

Thanks,
Micha