[Qgis-user] How to make a raster or grid from a shapefile

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sun Oct 31 06:53:43 PDT 2010

Manuel Spínola wrote:

> Thank you very much Micha,
>
> I want to make a grid or raster from a land us / land cover shapefile,
> a polygon with 9 categories.  I want this to model a species
> distribution, based on animal ocurrence.
In that case you can import the vector shapefile into the GRASS and
convert to a raster using the QGIS plugin.
Start by setting up a GRASS Location and mapset. The location coordinate
system MUST match the CRS of the shapefile.
Next use v.in.ogr in the GRASS toolbox to import the vector to GRASS.
Now be sure to set the current region to match that imported vector.
Use g.region, or just edit the region manually with the "Edit region"
toolbar button.
Then use the module v.to.rast.attrib to make the vector into a raster.
Select the landcover attribute column as the raster category (must be an
integer)

Regards,