[Qgis-user] How do you deal with lots of raster data?

Alister Hood alister.hood at synergine.com
Wed Sep 1 01:44:54 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for insight into dealing with large amounts of raster data in QGIS; at the moment I'm really interested in just displaying background images, not doing raster analysis.

Trying to add several hundred ecw images takes an extremely long time and a lot of memory.  I thought QGIS might establish the location of each image but only load images that are visible in the map extents (and maybe adjacent images, to speed up panning and zooming).  However it seems like it must be loading all of the images.  Is that right?

Would it be better for me to install some sort of tile server that I can load the images into and connect QGIS to?  How do other people deal with large amounts of raster data?

Thanks,
Alister