[Qgis-user] Toggle editing question

Erica Donnelly-Swift donneler at tcd.ie
Mon Sep 20 04:25:40 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm working on a road network vector file, however I have encountered
a small issue, and I would be very grateful if you could please offer
some advice, thanks

Q: How can I get QGIS to delete specific sections of road? (And not
delete the whole  primary road network)

I worked with this road vector map  a few months ago and managed to
select a specific route using toggle editing....I'm unsure why there
seems to be a problem this time.....

I have outlined the steps below
(I'm working on MAC OSX 10.5.8, QGIS version 1.4.0 Enceladus)

1) I have uploaded the roads.shp through QGIS  (roads.shp is a file
for a road network)

2) I went into the attributes table and selected the Primary roads

Attribute table contents:
ID	RoadType 	Length
0    	Motorway	XXXX
1    	Primary		XXXX
2    	Secondary    XXXX
3      Regional       XXXX

3) I saved the selected primary roads as a PrimaryRd.shp file

4) I loaded this PrimaryRd.shp file into QGIS

5) I selected toggle editing mode, but when I select features - all
roads are highlighted and when I delete.... it deletes all the roads

I think it may possibly be related to the attributes table, but I'm
unsure how to expand this table