[Qgis-user] Update shape on record with null geometry

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 16:44:49 PDT 2010

Hi,

I have a PostGIS table/layer in QGIS, where some of the features have
NULL geometry. Although I can see it all in the attribute table, these
don't show up on the map since they don't exist.

Now I'd like to UPDATE the table by digitizing the geometry in QGIS,
is this possible?

Here is what I've (unsuccessfully) tried:
1. Select the layer "foo", a normal MULTIPOLYGON table, and toggle editing on.
2. Open attribute table, and find the record and select it. The status
text at the bottom of the parent window says "1 feature(s) selected on
the layer foo".
3. Choose the "Add part to multipolygon" editing tool, and digitize
the shape, right-click to end edit, now I see an error:
    "Selected feature is not a multipolygon"

My guess is that this is not implemented, but I thought I'd check. My
workaround is to create a PostGIS object, and copy the WKB to the
record. Creating a new object (INSERT) is not an option since I
reference this object elsewhere as a foreign key, and I'd rather not
need to update references and delete the original reference.

Thanks for any help!
-Mike