[Qgis-user] Newbie Questions

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Wed Sep 29 07:01:08 PDT 2010

On 09/29/2010 03:17 PM, Michael Lapson wrote:

> I am indeed using Excel 2007 and I am hoping for a workflow that goes
> directly from Excel to GIS since I do that very often. I tried the
> "Value,N,10" trick you describe above but I get an error that the
> field name is longer than 10 characters. I assume the CSV table join
> feature will be fixed in the next release of QGIS. Is there a way to
> report and track a bug like this?

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough. In order to have QGIS
import a column as numeric values you *must* use a dbf file as the
linked table. MS, in their wisdom, dropped support for dbf with Excel
2007. So your better option is to download and install Openoffice.org,
and use the Excel equivalent - Calc. Load your xls file into OO.org Calc
and export the table as dbf.   Then, in QGIS, after linking you'll
retain numeric values.
The above column naming convention is only for *.dbf files to insure
that a column is numeric. (You can also force a column to be text, i.e.
"Label,C,20" where the 'C' indicates 'character')

BTW, the qgis bug tracking is at https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/
There's already an enhancement request to support joining tables from
SQLite:
https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1868

> It didn't work for me either (1.5.0 Windows 7 x64)

Seems this is feature is still under development. If you installed QGIS
with the OSGeo installer, then you can rerun the installer and, after
choosing "Advanced" you select to also install the qgis-dev package (the
latest version with all the new features not yet released in the stable
version). The selection of a size scale field should then be working...

>     What you can do is categorize the lines then manually give each a
>     different line width. In the Old Symbology, choose "Graduated
>     symbol", select the line width column and click Classify. Then
>     change the width of each line. Or, Using the "New Symbology" ,
>     choose "Classified", then again select the column and click
>     Classify. Then double click on each symbol to change its width.
>
> Yes I have tried this and it is very tedious, but sort of works. Not
> really the solution I was hoping for.

Yes, quite tedious. But better features are already on the horizon...

--
Micha Silver
Arava Development Co. +972-52-3665918