[Qgis-user] spatialite (and postgis) queries

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 05:15:47 PDT 2010

Hi list
Some questions on building querys with spatialite and postgis:

1 - Is it possible to build a query where two (or more) layers are
involved? Something like:

SELECT a.*
FROM a, b
WHERE Contains(b, a)

and get a visual result in the main Qgis display? I know I can do such
a query using the spatialite manager, but the return value is
visualized only as tabular data.

2 - Is it possible to dynamically create new geometries? For example,
write a custom query that creates a buffer around a point and store it
in a temporary layer?

>From what I have been investigating it seems that these things are not
possible. Am I wrong? This kind of functionality would be really
awesome.