[Qgis-user] Re: ArcInfo gdb file system

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 15:03:27 PDT 2011

Well, if it is the garmin .gdb format, if you send me the file, i can
open it up, and save it as a .gpx file.

gpsmapedit, can also open up the garmin files.

cheers,
sam

On 4/25/11, Brad Nesom <gisbradokla at live.com> wrote:
> to help clarify. The file geodatabase format for esri is a folder structure
> with a name like mydata.gdb (folder name). There are many, many files in
> that folder. The file containing gps data would be the garmin file. There
> are differences in the two files. Easily identifiable though because one is
> a folder. the other a single file.
> If the USFS was providing data sets it is probably ESRI. If they were
> providing wildlife tracks it very well could be GPS data.
> GPSBabel I think is still free. There should be a few formats for output
> including ESRI shapefile.
> HTH
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 3:21 PM, <mtnbiketrail at zzz.com> wrote:
>
>> I found an email thread that says how to manually convert it using
>> GPSBabel. But it was for Garmin gdb, not ESRI. I'm not sure what the
>> difference, if any, is. There is a DNRGarmin plugin into ESRI that is
>> supposed to work, but again, I don't have ArcView.
>>
>> The gdb data is from the USFS. Maybe I will ask them for shapefiles.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Tom
>>
>> > ESRI only recently released the file gdb format from proprietary. I
>> > doubt
>> > there is anything in the open source plugin world yet. However I am sure
>> > that it will become a popular plugin as soon as someone digs into it.

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn