[Qgis-user] newbie question: grouping polygons in a shapefile

Hinkle, CJon CJon.Hinkle at health.mo.gov
Fri Apr 29 05:55:17 PDT 2011

Yes!  That worked just right.  Thank you so much for your help.
CJon

From: Micha Silver [mailto:micha at arava.co.il]
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] newbie question: grouping polygons in a shapefile

(cc-ing back to the list)

On 04/28/2011 05:55 PM, Hinkle, CJon wrote:

Yes, that is what my District table looks like.  I have it both as a DBF file and a CSV.  I can import the table into QGIS by adding a vector layer, but for the life of me, I can't find a Join tab in the counties layer properties.  I read that there is a join function associated with the fTools plugin, but while it is installed, it is "not in any enabled repository", and I don't know how to enable it.

Sorry, this new Join tab is in the 1.7 version. From your screen shot I guess you're still on 1.6.

So the way to go is indeed with the fTools table join feature. You should find "Join Attributes" under the "Vector->Data Management Tools" menu. In this case you'll have to use the DBF formatted table, and you don't need to add it in advance. Rather there's a "Join dbf Table" browse button to choose it.

Give it a try and let us know...