[Qgis-user] free DEM data in QGis

jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Wed Aug 3 01:45:19 PDT 2011

Hi Torsten,
        If your question is how do you get the (SRTM) data, try something
like:
 http://edcsns17.cr.usgs.gov/NewEarthExplorer/ - Earth Explorer from the
USGS
Or http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/ - or various other places.
        If you just want to use it as a basemap then I'm guessing you just
add it like a regular raster. If you want to use it to drape other data
over so you can do 3D I'm not sure if QGIS could do that or if it would be
the best solution - there are other open-source GIS's for that.
Hope that helps.
Jonathan