[Qgis-user] New draft Ubuntu tutorial on QGIS server

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Mon Aug 22 12:58:18 PDT 2011

Hi Mayeul,

Am Montag, 22. August 2011, 18.49:55 schrieb mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr:
> I've put a full Ubuntu QGIS Server Tutorial here:
>
> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Talk:QGIS_Server_Tutorial
>
> The approach is somehow different from what I saw here and there,
> especially as I do not use the pre-compiled packages (which are in theory
> much simpler to use). After all the difficulties I encountered, I'm still
> surprised that my own procedure works on 2 machines! Maybe it would be
> great if this could be somehow merged with other existing documentation,
> but I have little experience with the QGIS-server product and fastcgi, and
> I do not know if the procedure I propose work on other machines and/or
> other Linux distributions.
>
> I have put it in the talk part because there is some overlap with the main
> page and I do not feel to master the subject enough to modify the main
> page. For the same reason, I already used the talk page 3 months ago here:
> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Talk:Building_QGIS_from_Source
> But this did not trigger the discussion I hoped... that's why I'm posting
> here.

You're using mod_fastcgi and not mod_fcgid as the original tutorials do.
mod_fcgid comes with a working configuration. I installed QGIS server at least
on half a dozen machines with one apt-get install. If you find a problem with
the precompiled packages we should fix them.

Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions