[Qgis-user] Identify Features (vector) blocks ui when selecting feature

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 07:08:30 PST 2011

Hi All,

I am having consistent problems with the Identify Features when using
a large a vector layer.  Using a large shapefile dataset, if I click
on a feature that has a large span and many intersections (for example
a single feature that spans many rivers in the Amazon), the UI is
unresponsive (but the QGis process is working intensively) and I have
to kill QGis after many minutes of waiting.  I have also noticed this
in other large shapefile datasets.

Is there a way to stop the query/lookup in a graceful manner, like you
would using the "Stop Map rendering" button?

Do other users have this problem?  Would I get better performance
using a spatial index or importing the data into PostGIS?

thanks,
Etienne