[Qgis-user] Installing QGIS Mapserver in a Windows 7 PC

hayamaguchi hayamaguchi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 17:06:28 PST 2011

Hello, all!

I need your help in installing QGIS Mapserver on my Windows 7 PC.

I have managed to install the module "mod_fcgid.so" in the "modules" folder
of my Apache 2.2 installation, and have added the line "LoadModule
fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so" to the "httpd.conf" file in the "conf"
folder of Apache.  Presumably this installs the fcgi module on my Apache
server.  (I am using the Apache server that comes with OSGeo4W.)

The two published instructions that I could find for QGIS Mapserver
(http://www.qgis.org/wiki/QGIS_mapserver_tutorial and
http://linfiniti.com/2010/08/qgis-mapserver-a-wms-server-for-the-masses/)
are for Mac OS and Linux, respectively.

The only instructions for Windows I can find are those at
http://karlinapp.ethz.ch/qgis_wms/documentation/index.html.  These (possibly
obsolete or inapplicable) directions instruct me to find
"qgis_map_serv.fcgi" generated by QGIS and "place the located
qgis_map_serv.fcgi" (and the xml file with the metadata from the same
directory) in the cgi folder of your Webserver."

QGIS 1.6 on Windows creates "qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe" in my
"C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis\bin" directory.  There is also a "wms_metadata.xml"
file in the same directory.

Is this "qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe" file the one that I am supposed to place in
the "C:\OSGeo4W\apache\cgi-bin" folder, along with the "wms_metadata.xml"
file?

Also, the directions in
http://karlinapp.ethz.ch/qgis_wms/documentation/index.html tell me to
"Configure the mapserver with fcgi by entering the following line into
fcgid.conf: "DefaultInitEnv LD_LIBRARY_PATH <Path to Qt libraries>:<Path to
QGIS libraries>" (and restart the Webserver after this)."  I don't see a
"fcgid.conf" file anywhere in the OSGeo4W directory, either under "apache"
or any other folder.  (I don't even know if this particular instruction
applies to Windows.)

I'm wondering if anybody here has been successful in installing QGIS
Mapserver on a Windows installation using the files that are created when
installing QGIS 1.6 ...  Alternatively, has anybody located instructions for
installing QGIS Mapserver on Windows machines?

Any assistance in this matter will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Howard