[Qgis-user] vector to raster conversion

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Sun Feb 27 01:51:13 PST 2011

Le 27/02/2011 08:38, Patrick Giraudoux a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to convert a shapefile into a raster using the the plugin
> "Raster" (Quantum GIS 1.5.0 & GDAL tools 1.2.0). For that the dialog box
> request that an 'output raster file' already created be provided. I
> understand that technically the underlying gdal command cannot create
> it, BUT on the other hand does not know how to create it by myself
> (furthermore the ultimate aim is to make it from the shapefile, so I am
> a bit lost).
>
> Has somebody an idea about how to handle this ?
>
> Patrick

You can use a copy of an existing raster covering this area or create a
blank one as explained on this page ->
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQRaster#HowcanIcreateablankrasterbasedonavectorfilesextentsforusewithgdal_rasterizeGDAL1.8.0

Since GDAL 1.8.0, it is possible for gdal_rasterize to create directly
the output file.