[Qgis-user] Re:Is Quantum GIS compatible with Windows 7 64 bit?

Ramon Andinach custard at westnet.com.au
Sat Jan 8 16:08:21 PST 2011

On 09/01/2011, at 03:57 , aperi2007 wrote:

>> I guess I really complaining about the lack of documentation. Can't find
>> any kind of roadmap explaining hardware and software requirements.
>
> Yes.
> I'm use Win7 64bit and qgis trunk from osgeo4w installer.
> It work without problem.

I'll pitch in a bit. But I only found qgis late last year, so a bit new still.

1. Finding the front end of this thread was annoying.

2. I've been using the osgeo4w version on my computer, but trying to use the standalone on a few other computer installations that I oversee - mostly because the maintenance is a little easier, and it uninstalls closer to how a windows user would expect it to.

3. I had to use the osgeo4w version because a couple of the new work computers were win7 64-bit and the standalone for qgis 1.5 would not run. (I found something else that supported this in I think the forum - can't remember).

4. The 1.6 standalone installer does work, and so now only my computer is using the osgeo4w path.

5. No trunk being used here.

I suppose the point being, I've both sorts of qgis 1.6 installed and they appear to be running fine.

-ramon.