[Qgis-user] data defined labelling field details?

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue Jan 11 23:53:14 PST 2011

Hi William

> - As I noted, data-driven offsets as an alternative to absolute position.

Data driven offset is available in the new labeling (first entry in data defined
properties->position)

> - I see that the data-driven buffer settings are inconsistent between the
> old and new.  The old can set transparency from data but not color, and
> the new can set color from data but not transparency.  How about both?

Agreed, it would be useful to have dd transparency also in new.

> - data-driven scale dependent rendering values.  And same for the general
> feature rendering.  I've been designing my data with this in mind and was
> disappointed that it isn't possible yet - scale dependent rendering is
> only per layer.

True, that would be usefull. Also nice would be the possibility to have
different label settings for different scale ranges. That's probably more a
long-term project.

>- some way to specify in any data-driven setting to use the non-data driven
> setting, like an invalid or null value.  That is, say for placement, if
> the data value is NULL or empty use the around/over setting in the
> Advanced tab.  That way you can let the engine calculate fixed/dynamic
> settings and override them to fine-tune labelling of specific features.

This is how it already works. If you add two columns for x/y to your table
(with NULL entries), the positions for all labels will be calculated automatic
by the PAL label engine. As soon as you start dragging labels around, the
position will be insterted to the columns and those entries are treated as
data defined position.

However, it is currently not possible to mix automatic label placement with
data defined rotation values (I think that was the start of the whole e-mail
thread).

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland