[Qgis-user] hexagonal grid

Giovanni Pasini jynxtor at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 03:14:20 PST 2011

This is a very rough method, in fact requires to edit the python file
attached (is a modified python file from ftools by Carson Farmer) for
inserting parameters.
At the moment I'm not able to do better (no python skillful), but I'm sure
someone else could easily create or integrate vector tools for making
hexagonal grid.
Hope it can help.

Instructions:

1) rename your doVectorGrid.py (in
/usr/share/qgis/python/plugins/fTools/tools/ here) to doVectorGrid_orig.py

2) edit the attached file after line 157 <<< HEXAGON OPTION >>> where you
can choose if make a hexagon by area or by heigth or edge, save the file as
doVectorGrid.py

3) copy the edited file doVectorGrid.py in in
/usr/share/qgis/python/plugins/fTools/tools/

4) start qgis and make the hexagon grid from vector menu -> research Tools
-> Vector grid. In Parameters you can only choose Output grid as polygons

5) replace the orig doVectorGrid.py for recover to normal situation
(in linux: mv
/usr/share/qgis/python/plugins/fTools/tools/doVectorGrid_orig.py
/usr/share/qgis/python/plugins/fTools/tools/doVectorGrid.py)

Cheers,
Giovanni