[Qgis-user] hexagonal grid

Giovanni Pasini jynxtor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 00:04:51 PST 2011

I'm sorry for the previous mail, here is the body of the message
previously unreadable...

From: Giovanni Pasini <jynxtor at gmail.com>
To: Qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] hexagonal grid
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 12:14:20 +0100

This is a very rough method, in fact requires to edit the python file
attached (is a modified python file from ftools by Carson Farmer) for
inserting parameters.
At the moment I'm not able to do better (no python skillful), but I'm
sure someone else could easily create or integrate vector tools for
making hexagonal grid.
Hope it can help.

Instructions:

1) rename your doVectorGrid.py (in
/usr/share/qgis/python/plugins/fTools/tools/ here) to
doVectorGrid_orig.py

2) edit the attached file after line 157 <<< HEXAGON OPTION >>> where
you can choose if make a hexagon by area or by heigth or edge, save the
file as doVectorGrid.py

3) copy the edited file doVectorGrid.py in in
/usr/share/qgis/python/plugins/fTools/tools/

4) start qgis and make the hexagon grid from vector menu -> research
Tools -> Vector grid. In Parameters you can only choose Output grid as
polygons

5) replace the orig doVectorGrid.py for recover to normal situation
(in linux: mv
/usr/share/qgis/python/plugins/fTools/tools/doVectorGrid_orig.py
/usr/share/qgis/python/plugins/fTools/tools/doVectorGrid.py)

Cheers,
Giovanni