[Qgis-user] Making a vector layer of raster files extent

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jan 24 11:04:02 PST 2011

Hi Hakon,

The gdal-tool "gdaltindex" generates a shapefile with the boundaries of
the rasters. (See http://www.gdal.org/gdaltindex.html) In a second step
you can generate a virtual raster with the tool "gdalbuildvrt". This way
all 95 rasters are still separate in the file system, but for the GIS it
appears as a single file. (see http://www.gdal.org/gdalbuildvrt.html).

For performance reasons it is also recommended to build pyramids in all
individual rasterfiles. You can use gdaladdo for this purpose
(http://www.gdal.org/gdaladdo.html).

I think this is the easiest solution to your problem and it doesn't
require scripting. It also works across several GIS, incl. QGIS,
Mapserver, gvSig, etc.

In QGIS, there is a GUI to most of the GDAL-tools. The plugin is called
"GdalTools". After installation there is an additional menu called
"Raster". The gdalado command is called "Build Overviews". The
"gdalbuildvrt" command is called "Build virtual raster catalogue". There
is no equivalent to the first step, the "gdaltindex" command, though.

----

Actually it came to my mind that it would be very convenient if the
GDAL-tools would allow a combined version of these three commands from
one single GUI. Your problem is very common, so I think many people
would benefit from such an additional tool, that would automatically
build pyramids, the tindex and the virtual raster, in a single step.

Hope this helps,
Andreas