[Qgis-user] Grass Plugin

Brad Nesom gisbradokla at live.com
Fri Jan 28 11:30:01 PST 2011

I have had this problem for all time on xp, osgeo4w. updating and new dev,
nothing has fixed it. Now I find a page that says this env is not supposed
to be used anymore.
1. Is this just my problem?
2. Does anyone know how to fix it?

G_getenv(): Variable GISDBASE not set

Grassbook chapter 11 says: "Programming:

   - Since the variable $LOCATION no longer exists, every GRASS shell script
   must have at beginning:

   eval `g.gisenv`
   : ${GISBASE?} ${GISDBASE?} ${LOCATION_NAME?} ${MAPSET?}
   LOCATION=$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET

   to work properly.

   - Gmakefiles contain a DEP line now (needed to support optional GRASS
   shared libraries)

   - GISDBASE isn't meant to be an "environment variable", it's a setting in
   $GISRC. Although most of the GRASS documentation is totally confused on this
   issue, as was some of the code as well (mostly, code written in Bourne
   shell, Tcl or PERL; code written in C used G_getenv(), which got it right).

If I can start grass from any of the interfaces. And I can see my
configuration is set in each of those interfaces. Why does grass plugin
(qgis) not detect that same getenv?