[Qgis-user] Does QGIS understand MapServer CGI?

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Jul 11 14:40:07 PDT 2011

All,

Sorry, re-thought this some, and got another idea.  Is there a method for adding a layer (or layers) to QGIS either from the commandline preferably directly from the web or via an external script of some sort?

bobb

>>> "Bob Basques" <Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us> wrote:

Pirmin,

I'm interested in the MapFile making abilities, but the importing of the map view from our systems is the higher priority (first).  :c)

Maybe the Openlayers importing would only be intended for display purposes.  For example, a OpenLayers (like Dialog in place of the WMS connector) would be easier to teach others to use for grabbing layers and pulling them into QGIS for example, a Radio button / checkbox per layer??.  Does this make it easier, or harder?

bobb

>>> Pirmin Kalberer <pi_ml at sourcepole.com> wrote:

Bob,

Am Montag, 11. Juli 2011, 23.10:01 schrieb Bob Basques:
> Pirmin,
>
> I've tried the MAPFILE maker in the past (not recently).  It seemed to work
> ok at the time I tried it.

I'm not sure, we're talking about the same plugin. My on is titeled "Mapfile
tools" in the plugin installer.

> I'm more interested in going in the other direction though, something
> similar to the WMS importing, but with better user control over how things
> look in the mapping interface.
>
> This may sound like a weird request/idea, but what about embedding a
> OpenLayers (like) view inside of the MapView in QGIS?  Or even a mechanism
> for importing any Web Based mapping system (mapview aspects, really only
> need to translate the projection of QGIS to the mapping interface view)
> into the Map view window of QGIS?
>
> Our MapServer implementation looks like this currently:
> http://gis.ci.stpaul.mn.us/gis/gismo_public/html/
>
> And a Simple OpenLayers version of the same data might look like this:
> http://pwultra5.ci.stpaul.mn.us/ol/ol.05.html
>
> I'm interested in any ideas related to importing MapServer services into
> QGIS with similar easier to use, user controls.

Since OpenLayers actually supports native UMN MS control, including such a
layer in the OpenLayers plugin (http://hub.qgis.org/projects/openlayers) could
be an option.
The problem with adding additional user controls is, that you have to redirect
mouse clicks on the map canvans to openlayers.

Pirmin