[Qgis-user] use raster + GCP points + ?? as data

jr.morreale at enoreth.net jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Mon Jul 11 23:53:14 PDT 2011

 On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:27:14 -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 07/11/2011 10:30 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have these pile of scanned old maps and can georeference them with
>> the
>> good working georeferencer plugin in qgis.
>>
>> But do NOT want to really warp the image. Why should we want to
>> store
>> TWO huge rasters, maybe loosing 'data' contained in the 'original'?
>>
>> So my question: is it possible (for Qgis, but preferebly also with
>> other
>> tools (wms's) to load data from the original raster, probably
>> accompanied with a txt file with GCP points (or maybe some other
>> format
>> containing both gcp points and projection/transformation
>> information)?
>>
>> Is there some 'common' way for the the world of gis?
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts,
>>
>> Richard Duivenvoorde
>

> A world file is the common way. It describes the coordinates of the
> corners, how many units per pixel and what skew if any. See the
> wikipedia page for details.
>
> I believe the georef plugin can save the a world file for you.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

 It doesn't enable for all the transformation methods.

 Richard > this choice has a huge trade-off with most formats, the time
 to resample the raster each time the users move the canvas will not be
 accepted by them. Storage is cheaper and does not interfere with your
 users. If the size is a huge issue and not the quality of
 representation, you can reduce the original resolution.