[Qgis-user] Multiple geometries in an import file

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Thu Jul 21 05:45:30 PDT 2011

Hi Tim
On 2011/07/21 13:55, Tim Sutton wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Zoltan Szecsei<zoltans at geograph.co.za>  wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I have some MID MIF and TAB files that have differing geometries in them
>> (ie: points, plines and regions).
>>
>> QGIS seems to simply (and silently!!!!) stop reading that import file as it
>> hits the first non-similar geometry.
>>
>> Is this the case? (or does it skip other geometries and read the entire file
>> reading only the first-found geometry types?)
Tim/Anyone: Can you comment on this filtering or error-exiting?

> Yes we currently only support 1 geometry type per layer. How mixed
> geometries are dealt with is provider dependent
I feared this.
This is a massive showstopper for any serious GIS implementation that
needs strong topology.
Take for example a sewer network that has been captured from plans.
At some later stage you GPS capture the manholes and want to adjust
their positions in your GIS database - but you also then need to move
the pipes.
Yes, you can spatially snap to pipes in other maps/layers, but snapping
without carefully selecting your search radius could lead to other
errors being created without your immediate knowledge thereof.

There's nothing to beat a topologically correct database. (Yes, I know
I'm selling snow to Eskimos :-) )

Is "currently" on the cards to soon become "we no longer" ?

Thanks for your comments.
Regards,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za