[Qgis-user] Offline Editing combined with PgVersion

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 04:59:11 PDT 2011

Dear Horst,

I noticed you published pg_version 0.9 and gave it a run.  The process are:

1.  Connect to the postgis db and load a layer (i.e. pg_layer ).
2. Prepare the loaded layer for versioning.  This creates a new layer
(i.e. pg_layer_version)
3. Convert the pg_layer_version to offline spatialite db
(pg_layer_version(offline))
4. Edit the offline version.
6. Connect to the pg db.
7. Synchronize the offline spatialite.  The changes are merged into
the pg_layer_version.
8. Commit changes from the pg_layer_version to the main pg_layer.

Is this the correct workflow?  I managed to test a few commits and it
seems to work.

A few observations I noticed:
1. Synchronizing the offline spatiallite db to the pg_layer_version
takes considerable time even if I simply edited a single vertex and
attribute.  (PG is on the same machine).
2. After creating and editing the offline spatialite, I closed QGIS.
I opened again and tried editing.  I cannot synchronize anymore.  I'm
sure  my current session is connected to the pg db.  Perhaps a bug in
the spatialite plugin "losing the connection to pg".

I haven't worked out how to revert but the initial implementation is
looking good.  Very similar to git's clone/fork-edit-stage
commits-push to remote. :) Will test some more and provide feedback.

This is using qgis 1.7 on Ubuntu 11.04.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Horst Düster <horst.duester at kappasys.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I followed the discussion about the combination of offline editing and
> pgversion in the last week. In my opinion it is very easy to combine these
> two features. You only have to load a versioned layer. Than prepare this
> layer for offline editing. After finishing your edits you syncronise the
> offline editings with the versioned layer. Now you can commit your editings
> to the main repository. Thats all. The only issue is at the moment, that the
> versioned layer is not marked as modified. But this will be solvable.
>
> In the afternoon I will publish a new version 0.9.0 of pgversion with the
> option to display commit logs.
>
> Regrads
> Horst

cheers,