[Qgis-user] KML to GoogleEarth

Matt Boyd mattslists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 19:02:49 PDT 2011

Walter,
the national standard isn't a legacy CRS. It's the one you'll need to
deal in and reference when you work with pretty much any government
departments and surveyors (at least that's how it is in Australia) and
if you want to work in meters and apply actual measurements to your
data. Land titles etc are all measured according to the national
standards (which do get updated over time).
I'd suggest you work out who the mapping is for, what it's purpose is
and choose a CRS to match those as well as observing any local laws
about using registered surveyors. Coordinates pulled out of GE won't
stand up in court if you're disputing a fenceline with a neighbour or
arguing with the local council about how far from the street you've
built your house.

regards
Matt
--------

Anyway: once i get those legacy data translated to WGS84, i think that
i should make all my new project-layers to use that CRS standard, for
the sake of GE compatibility and to avoid this confusion in future
-don't you think?